POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : About a (maybe) cool idea with blobs and splines... : Re: About a (maybe) cool idea with blobs and splines... Server Time
5 Aug 2024 14:12:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: About a (maybe) cool idea with blobs and splines...
From: Christian
Date: 4 Sep 2002 19:05:08
Message: <web.3d768ff9fac2eacda1b60c80@news.povray.org>
Rune wrote:
>It would be a difficult project, but indeed possible. However, I don't
>think it would be worth the trouble for one reason: Blobs can't be
>UV-mapped.

But they can be bitmapped... And it'd be increadible usefull! Create simple
bitmaps to reuse... and procedurals are procedurals :)

>Even though the textures of blob components are smoothly blended
>together, the textures will still look ugly when the figure is animated,
>because the textures don't follow the skin properly. Well, it might be
>possible to make it look ok in a few cases, especially if the textures
>are rather plain. But in general I don't think it's a very good idea...
>:/

It's not really true that, my friend. I've seen how it's done with other
packages... (but I don't really know HOW they do it...) textures CAN be
attached and fixed to blobs (although, I don't know if that it's possible
with the current implementation of POV... but there might be a patch for
that, right?)

And mathematics is a flexible language... there might not be a need to
rediscover America or the powder, you know...

>I still think that only with meshes you can have organic movement of
>(textured) characters.

Well... I disagree. I just try to make a difference, you know. Maybe I
didn't explain myself very well.

Please, wait till I post the whole idea!!!!!

Bye for now. And cool with you, Rune! Thank you for the constructive
criticism and for your opinion. You know, it helps a lot when something

yourself.